Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Poppins Perspective: Fun with Plates.

Two-year-old Natalie loves to do "awt".  Granted, when it comes to doing art with a two-year-old, I end up doing most of the work, but I like the challenge of finding something fun but simple enough for her to do.  Since there has been a surplus of paper plates lying around, I thought it was a good time to be creative and put them to use.



What you'll need:

* Paper plates
* Construction Paper
* Tissue Paper
* Crayons
* Scissors
* Tape



For our first animal, I used two plates.  While Natalie scribbled all over Olga the Owl's face, I cut the other plate into thirds.  Two thirds were the wings, and I used the last third for the feet and ears.




Bonnie the Bunny was very simple.  I cut two ears from construction paper and let Natalie decorate the rest.




I used the same technique for Beatrix Butterfly's wings.  Two strips of curled paper served for her antennae.



For the pinwheel, I cut a bunch of paper plates in half and stapled them in the middle.  Natalie had nothing to do with this one, really, but she enjoyed watching and kept asking what it was.  Hey, you gotta keep them guessing!



The last project we did was the Jellyfish (one for Natalie and one for baby brother Joey).  These are my favorite!  After Natalie colored the plates with crayons, I tore strips of tissue paper and Natalie helped me tape them to the bottom of the paper plate (or would that technically be the top?).  The best part was when I hung them up (I used pipe cleaners).  I turned on the ceiling fan and we watched them come alive and dance on its breeze.  The kids loved it, and frankly, so did I!

No comments:

Post a Comment