Saturday, May 14, 2011

Summer Longing.

With this warm weather comes my yearning for the joys of summer: for travel, for the sun coaxing my freckles out of hiding, for the feel of cool water swirling around my feet, and for lazy, balmy nights sipping wine on the patio.




(source: imgfave)

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine.




(source: tokyo-bleep)

Before I die, I shall learn how to sail.




(source: Sunday in bed)

Oh for the feel of tipping into the horizon with the smell of the ocean filling my lungs, my being, my very soul.  "I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky; And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by, And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking, And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking." ~John Masefield.





There is something so lovely about all things nautical.  "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery.




(source: net-a-porter)

Pack all your troubles in your old boat bag and smile, smile, smile.




(source: anthropologie)

If I had money, Anthropologie would be my best friend.  For now, I'll just gaze at their catalogues and perhaps on my weakest days, sneak into their store and sniff their candles.





Sperry Top-Siders are for boat days.  After all, one mustn't be slipping about on deck like a clumsy landlubber.  But if you are a landlubber, be a cute one.






A book for the beach is a must.  This one is a necessity.  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my all time favorites -- and not just because of its awesome title.  You will laugh.  You will cry.  You will be so sad when it's over.  And then you will read it again.




(source: malpractice)


And most of all, I long for an unmarred view of the endless waves.  "For whatever we lose (like a you or a me) It's always ourselves we find in the sea." ~E.E. Cummings.

Have a glorious, sun-filled weekend and follow the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson: "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..."

No comments:

Post a Comment